Thursday, November 6, 2008

I just wanted to let everyone know what Matt and I have decided as far as treatment for now.

We are incredibly grateful for doctors who are willing to communicate and consult with one another. My doctor is Spartanburg (Dr. Laye) and the doctor in Milwaukee (Dr. De Lia) have talked and Dr. Laye agrees that whatever treatment Dr. De Lia prescribes is what we should do since he is the expert on Twin-to-Twin Transfusion. I spoke with Dr. De Lia for quite some time Tuesday morning and he was gracious enough to call Matt's dad as well (he being a doctor, he can understand all this medical stuff much easier). I was very impressed with Dr. De Lia. He tries to do as much as possible to keep patients out of an operating room. His recommendation is that I drink three protein shakes (Ensure) each day and am on bed rest during the day. The protein in the drinks will help with any protein or calorie deficiencies I may have developed while trying to feed myself as well as two little ones. I may not have been consuming enough because of nausea and smaller appetite resulting in my 8 pound weight loss. Increasing protein and calories in my system will help my body to hold protein and as a result hold onto to fluid thus creating more fluid for the babies. Should this treatment not work we still have eight weeks in which the surgery can be done. As far as the bed rest, I don't have to be in bed all the time. Thank goodness! I can get up for small tasks such as fixing myself a sandwich or if i needed to run to the grocery store that would be ok as well. The idea for the bed rest is to keep off of my feet for the majority of the time. Walking burns calories. Add two babies and you burn even more calories. I just need to burn as few as possible. I hope all of this makes sense.

Please continue to pray that this treatment will work. Matt and I appreciate your prayers!

2 comments:

Christy said...

I am praying for You, Matt, JJ, and Jordan. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you guys. I love you all!

~Christy

Unknown said...

Prayers for you and your babies! I am the nurse coordinator for the Fetal Center in Houston....I am happy to help in any way! TTTS is a passion of mine and helping families getting through the process. Please do not hesitate to contact me (moise@bcm.edu) for questions/concerns!

Karen Moise's blog:
http://miraclesofmultiples.blogspot.com/