Friday, January 9, 2009

Ok so I'm here.

Christy... sorry there may be a delay on the pictures I promised. Maybe I'll at least post the living room so I'm not a horrible friend.

After I delivered our boys the hospital sent me home with prescription strength motrin and percocet. I never touched the percocet because pain medicines affect me so easily. I took the motrin pretty regularly in the beginning but about a week ago I decided to stop taking it. I knew prolonged use of ibuprofen can cause stomach bleeding. I had already had a stomach ache or two or five but I'd lay down and eventually I'd fall asleep. After a few of the stomach aches I began to notice that when I had them I also had pain in my upper back which just seemed to weird to me. Wednesday night I had one of these said stomach aches with back pain that was absolutely unbearable. So, I got online to do my homework. I was tempted to go to the ER but I thought surely I could suffer through it and go to our family doc when he opened. After my research I had concluded that I had a stomach ulcer. Between the ibuprofen and the stress I've been under it would have been easy to develop one. Now I also found a list of things you should stay away if you have an ulcer. The list included: milk, fruit juice, carbonated beverages, spicy food (and lots more). But on Wednesday I had consumed Diet Coke, a lot of grape juice, spicy taco bake for dinner, ice cream, and milk (if you know much about me you know that means like 3 or 4 cups of milk). So, lets just say I made my self-diagnosed stomach ulcer very very angry.

By 5:30 am I couldn't handle it any longer and I got dressed and went to the ER. I went in (no wait at the Village Hospital) and explained to the nice nurse my recent experience (2 weeks post partum, lots of ibuprofen), explained my self-diagnosis, and waited for a doctor. Two hours later (darn it for going in the middle of shift change) a nice doctor came around and (thank you very much) told me I had done good research and that my diagnosis was correct. So does this mean I don't have to pay you as much I wondered. They sent me home with an acid blocker, Nexium, and warned me to stay away from those things I shouldn't eat/drink that make the ulcer very angry.

So now I'm sitting here stomach growling because well quite honestly I don't know what to eat because I'm scared to eat. I waited until 7 pm to eat yesterday and then I had a grilled chicken sandwich on wheat. Maybe today I'll go for chicken noodle soup. yum.

cb

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Crystal...

I feel your pain -- literally. I've battled ulcers off and on for several years. I was taking the purple pill for months and then one day Kim Rhodes' dad told me I should try putting 2 teaspoons of Braggs Raw vinegar (GNC) in a glass of water and drinking it daily. I did that for a little over a week -- and I've had no need for a purple pill in over a year. Was it the vinegar? I don't know - I'm not a doc. But it "cured" his and mine too. Maybe it's worth a try? I haven't had cereal (which used to be my fav meal) in 3 years - no milk - that helped alot too. I don't know if this helps but just know you're not alone. :) Still praying for you.

farmersdaughter4ever said...

you poor thing...hang in there!

Erin said...

Oh man...that stinks! Hope you are feeling better!