Thursday, January 29, 2009

Today has been a really good day. I spent my afternoon walking around downtown taking pictures. It was nice and sunny outside... a really good day for taking pictures. I started off towards Springwood Cemetery downtown and on my way back to the car got sidetracked and took some pictures of the Greek Orthodox church. I've downloaded a trial of Photoshop Elements. I'm curious to see if I like it. I love Photoshop but I've never tried Elements. It's sort of like the teaser version of Photoshop. Maybe I'll post some of the photos after I edit them... I don't know. I'm one of those folks who won't post photos if I'm not 110% happy with them.

I really enjoyed walking around the cemetery. I love photographing cemeteries. I always have. I had no clue there are 80 unknown soldiers buried in Greenville. They were soldiers from the Confederate States of America. Springwood is an OLD cemetery. One of the interesting things about old cemeteries is they often serve as reminders of the brevity of life. Losing babies is nowhere near as common today as it was then. There were so many small headstones for babies 2 years and under. Some lived more than a year. Some lived two days. Another thing is enjoy about the cemeteries is reading the headstones. I, personally, don't think as much is put into headstones these days as back then. Today you see a name and two dates and thats it. Back then folks still wrote epitaphs. They wrote of people's faith, their love for their children or their spouse and what they believed in. It makes me think... what would my epitaph say? What will I be remembered for?

No comments: