Thursday, March 6, 2008

Just rest he says...

Matthew 11:28-30 (The Message)
Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly.

Oh how I wish I could do what Jesus calls us to do in these verses. Instead, its so easy to hold on to unrealistic expectations of yourself and others, to put more on your place than you can handle, and to stress over things that God also already taken care of. Why do we stress? A lack of faith? A failure to see things from an eternal perspective?

The several weeks have been filled with me stressing over a multitude of things. I try to trust that God will take care of them. I don't doubt that he will. He's sovereign and He is on the throne. But sometimes I fall into a sinful mindset and I think my worrying will somehow help when in essence, I only make things harder for myself in the long run. Why is this so hard to learn? On a similar note, why is change so hard to deal with? I think for me it is the unknown or uncertainty that absolutely terrifies me. If I know what to expect, I can prepare. Uncertainty leads to a feeling of complete unpreparedness. Granted, staying in the Word and keeping the lines of communication with God open can certainly help you to think clearer and remail calm during times of uncertainty. I just struggle with those "What if...?" questions. Does any of this make sense?

I pray that God will give me the peace that passes all understanding concerning all the areas of stress and the things that grieve my heart right now. He IS in control, yesterday, today, and always. I need to rest in Him.

cb

4 comments:

Joe said...

Well, three words can sum up your blog. Drum roll please… WE ARE HUMAN. Even those that have walked the walk longer than we have all experienced the fear of uncertainty. Like you said, we just got to stay open with God and in His word.

farmersdaughter4ever said...

I totally understand your thoughts on change...back in the summer a friend said to me..."why do you hate change, I love change?"...it got me to thinking...why do hate change? Well, b/c for the most part, change in my world was a BAD thing, not a good thing, so I began to think that change always meant bad...and we all know it doesn't, but I never saw good as change, just bad thing were change for me!....well, I have said all that to say that God has renewed my ideas about change, and now I look to change as a good thing, you can't grow in the Lord unless you change and I want to change...to grow and learn what God has for me! Pray and ask God to help you embrace your change and to learn everything HE wants you to learn!
sorry it's so long...love you BAH2 :)

Anonymous said...

Hello Crystal I Love reading the things you write have a good night love you Momma.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.