Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Weekend Update

Last weekend was an important weekend for us. Matt played in the annual Greenville County Amateur, a golf tournament for amateurs in the area. Matt looks forward to this tournament every year since its really the only tournament that he competes in. He didn't play his best this year... we know he's capable of shooting some low scores, but low scores weren't in God's plan this year. Matt may not have played his best but I admire him for learning form the situation. He learned about humility. Matt has a good game. He knows it. I know it. But, that doesn't mean we assume every round will go the way we'd hope.

If you're familiar with golf you're understand the frustration of a triple bogey on a par five. Par fives are the holes you want to birdy. They're your best chance for lowering your score. But, Matt hit some trouble on a par five on his round Saturday. Off the tee box his ball hit a tree and shot backwards 50 yards. So Matt tried to play it into a fairway to the left and hit the green from there. But, the second shot went into the trees and into a hazard. You can imagine his frustration by now. He drops and his third shot.... you guessed it, hit a tree but it was playable. Matt was so aggravated, understandably so. But he maintained his composure, he finished the hole, took his "snowman" and went to the next hole and left that one behind him. He kept a good attitude and kept his cool. Now... let's compare this with one of Matt's competitors. This fella just graduated college and has played competitively for the last few years. Unlike Matt, he reached the green in two shots and had himself putting for eagle. Awesome, right? So he putted, missed. Putted again, missed. Putted again, missed. Putted again, finally. Bogey. His reaction like his performance on that hole leaves a lot to be desired. The young man swung his putter through the air and then ran to the closest tree and smacked it restulting in his putter breaking into two pieces. His actions were imature and irresponsible. Who played the hole better? If you ask me, I'll say Matt. Sure his score was two strokes higher but Matt left the hole with his temper under control, with a good attitude, and he didn't have to putt the next five holes with his wedge. Ha.

Matt's dad was able to make it out to walk and watch Matt's round on Saturday. I'm am so grateful for the relationship the two of them have. They have never had a bad relationship but in recent years they have become a great deal closer and I loved watching Matt's dad giving Matt a thumbs up after a good shot and after those bad shots, he gave him some encouragement and advice on how to best play the hole. I'm grateful that Matt's dad is supportive of Matt and likewise that Matt is willing to listen to what his dad says and understands that his dad has a lot of wisdom to offer.

So last week, we made a purchase. I am the proud owner of a Nikon D40. Since I've been unemployed for the last month (exactly one month tomorrow) I don't feel like I've been using my brain and that it could potentially be turning to mush. So I'm trying to harness my creative energy into my photograhy. It's something I've always loved but I have to learn to make more time for it. When I have some good shots I'll try to post them and you can tell me what you think.

I had an interview today. It went well. I'll post more on it after some prayer and discussion with Matt.

Ohhhh, how could I forget to mention?! Tomorrow is my wonderful husband's 27th birthday! Leave him some birthday wishes.

Alright, I should get ready for bed. I'm sorry if I've bored you but thats all I have to offer for now.

Goodnight.

cb

No comments: