Sunday, July 13, 2008

Well... here I am... almost three weeks with no job.

For some of my former co-workers, this probably comes as a good break or a vacation for them. Those who had kids and rarely saw them because we were spending 50+ hours at work are probably enjoying this much-needed break. But, for a newly-married wife with no children, after about the first week, it becomes more taxing than anything else. Let me explain. I was one of those crazy kids in school who enjoyed taking tests and writing papers. I enjoyed algebra and working out chemical equations and physics formulas. School was easy. So I attended the magnet school and finally found some things I really enjoyed like forensic science and photography and hisory... high school is where the obsession with Thomas Jefferson started. Well, since high school, you could say I have this intense need... not a desire, but a need.... to use my brain, to stretch and test it. I need to learn and to use what I learn. My last job at CCM involved me using my problem-solving skills. I might have three pages of info but only two pages to put it on, so you get creative and you find ways to make it fit. Yes it is possible. Well, here I am at three weeks of not using my brain. I have only had two interviews and am starting to question what the heck is wrong with me?! I'm smart. I have skills. (haha I just pictured Napolean Dynamite.. I digress) So, I'm finding myself searching for a new hobby. I love photography but I'll be honest, I don't like 95 degree weather. Yuck. I like to draw but I seem to have lost my creative flair. I'm not inspired so my pencil lies still. I like to write but if you follow my blog, you'll notice I'm not inspired to do that very often. I've always wanted to learn a musical instrument so I'm tossing that idea around. I can play the piano... well sorta. I remember the songs I learned when I took lessons about 20 years ago. I have a guitar and after many, many attempts think its not the instrument for me. My fingers won't stretch that far! However, I am blessed with a husband who is wonderful on the guitar, so my little Austin acoustic still gets played and he can make pretty music on it. Matt suggested I take up fishing. But after discussing that I don't like to touch either the bait or the fish, we decided that probably wasn't a good hobby. I enjoy golf but its more fun with two people. Maybe Matt and I can get around to playing together more often when it cools off. (sidenote: Matt plays in the Greenville County Amateaur this coming weekend. cheer him on!) I like to read and I still do... alot. But I still need something else. UGH! If you have any ideas for hobbies, I'm open to suggestions.

---

We bought Wii Fit and I absolutely love it. Beth, I think you'd like it. Its fun and you really do get a work out. Yoga is freaking hard. It starts you with some basic games in each category: Yoga, Strength, Aerobic, and Balance. The more time you spend using the game, the more games you unlock. Let me just brag on my husband for a second and say that he is awesome at the hula-hoop game. ;-) I'll let you know if it helps me to actually lose weight, providing I eat healthier.

Sigh. Its 2:17 am. I should probably try to sleep again. Pray that I get to sleep soon. I'm finding that I either can't sleep or when I do, I have crazy nightmares. God, what are you trying to tell me?

Goodnight.

cb

1 comment:

farmersdaughter4ever said...

hang in there....God is going to provide something amazing, something worth the wait! Although I know what you mean about not using your brain...sometimes as a mommy, I feel like I lose brain cells daily...my main conversation consist of "potty" and "peepee" and the simple word of "no" although you don't say just "no" you say "NoNo" which sounds so much less grown up!lol...although I love every minute of it and would trade one "i luv eww" for any adult conversation! :) God is preparing you for something great.