Thursday, May 29, 2008

Reflections

Over the last week, I've had many questions and I've pondered the why's and the what ifs about my pregnancy. I understand that my miscarriage was decided at the moment of conception. When a baby is conceived, 13 chromosomes come from the dad and 13 from the mom. Miscarriages occur when there are too many or not enough chromosomes. God designed our bodies to realize that something is not right with the pregnancy and our body ends the pregnancy. With that being said, it still doesn't make the grieving process any easier. What does help? Well... Keith, being the wonderful pastor that he is, came over to talk and encourage us last Friday. It was good to just talk through some things. I had decided in my heart years ago that Scripture says that a baby receives its soul at the moment of conception but I needed to ask Keith this question to have it affirmed for me. Keith agreed and led me to some scriptures I hadn't read before.

Any good Biblical scholar will tell you that the Old Testament foreshadows what will happen in the New Testament. I'll give you an example so that you don't get lost. In the New Testament, Christ died that so His lost children could be saved and would reach Heaven. In the Old Testament the Israelites were lost and God led them to the Promised Land (a physical place). So, read Deuteronomy 1:39 "And as for your little ones, who you said would become a prey, and your children, who today have no knowledge of good and evil, they shall go in there. And to them I will give it[the promised land], and they shall possess it." So if you understand the relationship between the Old and New Testaments you will make the connection that the "little ones who have no knowledge of good and evil" (which means they are not aware of their sins) will enter into Heaven. Take this one step further and look at what it means for Matt and I. It means our little tiny baby, who by nature was sinful but unaware of any sin, is today in heaven. Its a comforting thought. Now I know this will bring up the question of "at what age is one aware of their sin?" and that has to be considered on a case by case basis. One has to be able to put the head and heart knowledge together. You can realize a need for a Savior but until you realize how bad sin really is you can't really appreciate the free gift of salvation. Oh boy, I'm on a soapbox I never intended to step on.

Back to my original reason for my entry. Sorry I'm rambling.

I've been looking to scripture for some verses that lift my spirit and I've found great strength this week in Psalm 103.

The God of the Bible, the God of Psalm 103 is the God who

vs. 3 forgives and heals
vs 4 redeems and crowns
vs. 5 satisfies
vs. 8 is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love
vs. 13 shows compassion

and we can read in verses 11 and 12 "For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as fast as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us."

vs. 1 "Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name."

The God of the Bible is a good God, He is faithful and wishes that not one of His children would perish. Do you know Him?

comments welcome.

cb

2 comments:

Heather said...

Crystal, loved this post. Thank you, needed it!!

Cathy Baker said...

Crystal,
I'm so sorry to hear of your recent loss. I miscarried between my boys. You're right. Regardless of what we know to be true, our heart still aches...and that's exactly how our Father designed us. Know that I am praying for you! I'm so glad I found your blog!